Legends of Alaska Aviation
In the hangar, in the cabin, in the cockpit, on the ground, and behind the scenes, aviators have impressively impacted the course of Alaskan history. Collectively they have built the foundation from which aviation soars forward. Their individual lives add texture and flavor to our Alaskan way of life. They are our living history.
The Legends of Alaska Aviation project exists to:
- Honor the men and women of Alaskan Aviation before they are lost to us.
- Celebrate their contribution to our way of life.
- Relive events, places, and conditions in Alaska’s aviation history.
- Cherish the unique personal qualities that embody their experiences.
- Capture through images and words the aviation stories that are now only in their minds, cardboard boxes and dusty closets, before these recollections are lost.
Recipients are selected from nominations by a committee composed of an evolving group of living legends and an advisory committee. The current award recipients will select the following year’s award recipients.
An annual banquet will be held in honor of our Legends of Alaska Aviation. Recipients will be honored annually at an October banquet to be held in Anchorage. Recipients for the following year will be announced at the conclusion of the banquet.
An OCTOBERFEST and silent auction will be held at the Alaska Aviation Heritage Museum in October to raise funds for this project. Silent auction items and monetary donations can be made to the project via AACA (907 277-0071) or the Alaska Aviation Heritage Museum (907 248-5325).
Nomination forms can be downloaded from www.alaskaaircarriers.org or requested by telephone. The deadline for nominations is March 1st of each year. Submit to: firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com, or FAX to 907 277-0072.
For information call Joy Journeay at 907 277-0071, Shari Hart at 907 248-5325, or Rob Stapleton at 907 230-9425